Saturday, May 28, 2005

graduation

I have a few minutes for a break from class so I thought I would get some of my thoughts down and write a new blog.

It is 10:45 here which I think would make it about 2:45 a.m. at home. I thought jetlag would not be a big deal but I still feel as if I am recovering and I have been here a little over a week. I continue to enjoy the heavenly activity of napping. Our English class is almost over and the graduation is this afternoon. I will miss these little buggers and their broken English that matched perfectly with my broken German. I think they have learned some very important lessons and now each time they are asked, 'what are you doing?' they can quickly respond, 'hangin with my homies.' They also learned the idiom, you are in the dog house, which is a shame as they have been telling me that very thing about every 30 seconds over the past several days.

Something that I am just coming to terms with is that I must create mocking wherever I go in the world. In Honduras I am 'fat jon' which is really helpful for the ego and now I have become 'jon you are a donkey!'. I am not sure what sin my forefathers committed but it must have been a grave evil. At times I enjoy it and think it is funny but I am ready for an animal upgrade. If I have the chance to build relationships with a new community I want to be known as, "Jon the mighty lion" or even 'the dangerous otter' would be fine. But I am fearful that I have started a lifelong pattern and with have to deal with being connected to the less-then-cool parts of the creation.

This relative silence is wonderful right now but I should get back to the class. It is time to practice our play of Little Red Ridinghood.

Aufweidersprechen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bret said...

Hmm... Juan, el burro; I think they'll go for it down in Honduras.

Mon May 30, 08:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and at home you're simply... fancypants

Thu Jun 02, 05:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home