Monday, April 18, 2005

tim mcgraw and an empty room

Due to some recent conversations and a recent gift of a mix cd my take on country music has been challenged. I have always, at least since high school, had an unnatural distaste for country and I think it was out of some base fear that I would become a stereotype that I wanted to avoid. I know that that is not far but stereotypes never are. As I have grown older and more cognizant of my lack of wisdom I have grown to really enjoy country music by some definition. In fact some of my favorite artists have definite country influences in their music. I respect and enjoy Cash, Whiskeytown, Alison Krauss (with one 's' or two?), Lucinda Williams and the list goes on. However I still can not embrace what I think of as pop country. It makes me think of the Chicago Art Institute.

I love going there and walking the halls looking at amazing art and wishing I could do that. The power of art to express what I only wish I can in words. But then I come to the modern section. I remember one time walking into this room that was about 12 feet by 12 feet with bare white walls. The only thing really in the room was a light bulb hanging a couple of feet from the ceiling. I pondered what they would be putting in this room as it was clearly empty. As I walked out of the room I saw a sign that explained the 'art' that was taking place behind me. Something about the darkness of the world and the light of truth... All I know is I did not get it. Still don't. Maybe it was art, maybe even great art. I have no idea. It was then that I realized that for me it is all about ascetics. If it influences my senses in a pleasant way then I enjoy it and even if it offends I often respect it. But then there is the art that does nothing for me because I just don't get it. Popular country is like that. I don't get it. But who knows, maybe someday I will and I will stand at the front of a Tim McGraw concert with my cowboy hat and boots and sing every verse. Until then I will stick with what makes my ears happy.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bret said...

So what you're saying is that you are giving up the material comfort of pop country music as a sort of self-discipline or some sort of act of religious devotion?

Tue Apr 19, 10:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would argue that art (or at least good art) would be anything that evokes an emotional response from the viewer. I think good music should be the same way. You are seeing or hearing someone else's thoughts/feelings. If done correctly, that should evoke an emotional response in you. Not every piece of art or music is going to affect everyone in the same way; as in the case of the bare room, you weren't touched by the artists sentiment. Others, however, may fully appreciate that statement. The difference is not between liking or hating a piece of work, but in being emotionally touched (either positively or negatively) or not.

Often, I think appreciation for certain types of art or music change as our life experience changes. Occasionally something happens in us or to us that allows us to connect to the feelings an artist is trying to convey. So for now, you may have no appreciation for pop country. But someday, that may all change. And if it does, I want pictures of you in your cowboy getup. :)

Wed Apr 20, 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

whoa, whoa, whoa ... "safe from the dangers and evil of country music?" you have got to be kidding me.

i appreciate your hesitancy to embrace country, as i, in my youth, also felt similarly. but the first time i heard garth sing "shameless," i was putty in the hands of that soulful southern brother. i'm putting money on the fact that someday, jon, SOME DAY, some country woman will evoke in you a fabulously emotionally joyous response that you never imagined possible.

$5 says it's shania twain.

hee hee.

Fri Apr 22, 10:24:00 AM  
Blogger Bret said...

I'd like to see Mary's prediction come true, so from now on, every Thursday, you can expect to hear some Shania Twain, it'll be fun, really.
Also it has been over a week, time for a new post. It's the end of the semester, I have tons of work to do, help me procrastinate a bit.

Tue Apr 26, 09:44:00 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement Dave. I do not see them as hate speech as some might suggest. I really don't think that I will be jamming out to anything too pop country all that soon. However I must be careful not to get too snobby as I have tickets for the Green Day show in a week and am looking forward to it. I will have to dig deep to find that dog collar of mine.

Tue Apr 26, 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger me said...

oh Hebert,

As a reformed Country fan, I say stick to your guns. (um, yeah, no puns actually intended there with the guns and the country stereo-type stuff, but laugh if you find it in you)

Oddly enough, it wasn't until I moved to Nashville that I realized the ridiculousness of Pop-Country. And, may I say, that just as Alt-Country is very different from Country, so is Pop-Country. So, you can still like your Hank Williams, Patsy Cline and Willie Nelson. Ryan Adams and Lucinda Williams would.

P.S. Mindy Smith (she's of the Allison Krauss variety) does a cover of Jolene that Dolly Parton actually sings on. Amazing.

Fri Apr 29, 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Good call Mel. Can I call you that? I enjoy Mindy Smith and I must say that my musical taste feels better when someone I know who is a good musician themselves affirms me. Any what is with Dolly getting on so many of my records? She is sneaky that one.

Mon May 02, 04:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home