Wednesday, March 30, 2005

a long walk

I must say that one of the things I love about my job is that I continue to have a spring break and really, what is not to love about that? So along with my brother, sister and two friends we all headed down to North Carolina and did some backpacking in the Smoky Mountains last week. Now I love the outdoors and I think I like backpacking. I have many good memories of trips and I have done several but then each time I go I remember how hard it is. I think it is like Monty Python movies. Good to quote and you can talk at length about them with friends but then you sit down and watch them and there are long painful stretches of not-so-funny.

But since it has been a few days, already the bad memories are fading and being replaced by the times of the five of us holding hands and dancing around the fire at night. For the most part the trip really was wonderful and I would say that four of the five of us enjoyed it. It was amazing to start the day in the valley where it was fully spring and by the end of the day and at the top of the trail be a foot deep in snow. There is also something great about such a simple life. No phones, no emails, no meetings, just how far do we have to go and what will we eat?

There is also something soothing about being in the midst of creation. Even when the scenery is not always breathtaking, the constant state of dwelling in the woods quiets the inner soul (verses the outer soul?) and gives one significant time to think, reflect or let ones mind wander aimlessly. Once you get into the rut and the backpack becomes part of you, it is a pleasant way to spend a day.

We met several through hikers who had all put their lives on hold for 4-6 months and I wondered if I could ever do anything like that. I love the idea. It sounds romantic. But would I be willing to give up things here? Would I be one of the many who quits two weeks in? Most of the people who I have met that make it through have started in an attempt to figure life out or 'deal with some issues' so I guess the bottom line is I need to get me some issues, good boots and get walking...

5 Comments:

Blogger allan said...

Hey bro,
you can have some of my issues, have a pair of my boots and perhaps I will join you on that walk. Sounds like a good time you had there.

Hope your Prodigal Son message went well the other night. I was thinking about it and the ideal example of the big brother is Javert, the relentless detective in Les Miserables. If I remember correctly, I think Victor Hugo based that character on the older brother, as one who cannot grasp grace and forgiveness. Anyway...just fyi

Sat Apr 02, 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

what kind of issues are you looking for, jon?

Wed Apr 06, 06:59:00 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

Good question Mary. The first issue that comes to mind is why do smart friends who should know better give themselves over to country music? And how can I help them? That question alone could take a good long walk to figure out.

Wed Apr 06, 08:15:00 AM  
Blogger Bret said...

Maybe you just need to give in to the country Jon. You know your resistance is waning, I've seen the Johnny Cash cd. One of these days you will turn.

Wed Apr 06, 08:49:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

jon, you're gonna be eating your own words soon enough. country will not take your smack for much longer. i guarantee it.

Thu Apr 07, 02:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home