Monday, March 07, 2005

game on: day 3 nibbles

I recently spent a few days down in the Chicago area at the great Willow Creek church at their annual conference for those working in youth ministry. Now I know that many of my friends hate the 'willow thing' merely because of the corporate aroma they give off but after being there several times I must say that although I do not want to become them in my setting, I think they have a good thing going. They are not the wunderkurche but I think they know that. Anyways I am not writing to defend the willow way...

One of the challenges of the time was to foster in ourselves and our ministries a passion for the Bible. Now this seems pretty obvious but as the speaker talked about how when someone mentions the Bible in a large or small group setting the all-to-often response is one of faces dropping and excitement being drained from the room. I experience that. I see that and am guilty of it myself. How can that be changed? Help me out wise readers. How can Christ followers actually live what they claim in their faith to be true? We say the Bible is God's word, that it is living and active, that is changes our lives, points us to God, contains the message of hope and life in a dark and dying world. So why do we pick up a Donald Miller book so much quicker?

How do we become passionate and help this generation and the one before and after us move from taking an occasional morsel to regular feasting?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mjon...i will attempt to remain faithful in my posting...:-P
it is difficult to remain faithful in reading God's word...yet it is so easy to stay tuned in to our favorite tv shows...or commenting on someone's blog...talking to that special someone. isn't God kind of our special someone? if it were like a normal relationship he would have broken up with me a long time ago!

Mon Mar 07, 07:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when reading scripture and setting a starting time and having a set length of time...doesn't it start to get boring? sometimes? does for me...but i can't wait to see the next episode of...the oc...so what keeps me tuned in? that its new? i generally turn off reruns...so why do i see God's word as a re-run?

Mon Mar 07, 07:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home