Tuesday, January 18, 2005

juan something

It is about time for another update so here we go...

Since last writing I was in Honduras on a short term mission trip so this blog will be dedicated to sharing some thoughts, stories and general ramblings from my time. I should also mention that I am listening to Last of the Mohicans while writing so if at any point I mention saving the lives of beautiful, frontier women during my trip it is a lie. I did not have the chance this time.

I must admit this year I had rather small expectations for this trip. I am not sure if it is because I have been to the same place several times or if it is my way over analytical mind. I am pretty sure it is the latter. But the cool thing about God is that he seems to know our expectations and laugh. Then he surprises you. This was a wonderful trip of learning more about the Honduran culture, people and how to better serve together. I now truly believe, after a long time of questioning, that short term missions can have a very positive impact not only on the team going but also the community that is visited.

One highlight for me was the chance to meet with some of the adult leaders in the town we were in. One of the last nights a small group from our team had a chance to sit down with a group from the town and discuss who we are and hear from them what sorts of things the future might hold. Before you picture too grand of things, you should try and imagine a handful of older people in mostly farming clothes sitting in plastic chairs in a room a little too large for the group. However, the people that were kind enough to join us were some of the most influential people in the community and we were blown away by their positive and welcoming attitude towards us. At one point in the evening they asked us to get the youth of the town together and tell them about Jesus because it would be good for them. Cool stuff. For me, this time was a gift of grace that showed that God indeed is working and again by his grace, using our teams and the church we serve with.

Another thing I should share is that ever since my first time to this community I have been known as Juan Gordo, Fat Jon, for those who do not speak Spanish. Now I must say that there is no better way to make one want to think about losing weight then spending several days hearing this name over and over again. Try as I might this nickname does not go away but I think the problem could be that all I really know how to say in Spanish is, "No fat, yes skinny". Maybe it is time to hit the books and learn something more useful like, "Shut up kid! You are a boogerhead." Here is to higher education.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CALLATE! Juan Flaco, no Juan Gordo. Or, as we like to say Juan Bonito

Wed Jan 19, 08:54:00 PM  
Blogger Bret said...

I think you should just stick with the Juan Guapo you were using instead of switching to Pretty Jon like Anonymous suggested.

Thu Jan 20, 09:19:00 PM  
Blogger me said...

How many times have you been there and you don't know more Spanish that "No fat, yes skinny?" Man, maybe they should call you "Juan Perezoso." And if you don't look that up, you'll just prove my point. = )

Thu Feb 03, 01:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home