Wednesday, November 03, 2004

schmolitics

I am sure that everyone and their mother is writing and dialoging about politics so there is really no need for this entry other then as a form of catharsis. So like all 'good' people I went out and voted yesterday and did my good deed. I must say that I am disappointed with the results as I see our country going in ways that are a poor use of the amazing power and influence that we have. I find it interesting that all, granted this number is less then 10, of my friends in other countries were saddened by our country's choice. With that said, it is time to move on.

It seems to me, and this is just how I see the world, that the overwhelming passion and participation by our country is a reflection that we truly want the world to be a better place, although mostly for ourselves, and we see our chance for that coming through politics. I would say that I am at least in some form an idealist but I see little hope in what our government or any government can do.

I have always and continue to struggle with the role that a Christian should play in politics and at least in ones life it seems that separation of church and state is an impossibility. Can anyone not be deeply influenced by their beliefs about human nature and God? Christians should be involved in their country and how it is formed.

However what does this look like? I really would love to hear your thoughts on this one (all 3 of you who read this). I am deeply concerned by how our president uses his faith to paint the world in black and white and good verses evil. (I like how by adding the word 'deeply' that last sentence had a much stronger feel. I see the book offers now.) I am quite sure that at least I am just as evil as most if not all people. Is it the role of a nation to help the hungry, stop genocide, strive for peace, etc? I would think so but we seem to do that poorly as a nation.

This gets me back to the Church. Everything does that in my world. I guess that is who I am. It is time for us to stop voting straight ticket and get involved in our communities to create a greener world where those who have the least have a powerful organized advocate. We proved that 'we' can be an influential force in this election. Now lets get off our butts and prove it in our world in a way that really can make a difference for what is best. At least that is what I think for tonight. Now time to stop preaching and try to do something, like go shopping.

Just kidding.

4 Comments:

Blogger allan said...

I hear you jon. I "deeply" hear you. (Mmm, not as effective as your use of it.) Ahh...I try again later.
I wrote some thoughts on this on my Blog "what's the point". In a nut shell, I fear we (Christ-ones) get too wrapped up in trusting in the government for resolution rather then us the church. And I fear our allegiances to our country of citizenship takes priority over our allegiance to this amazing "Kingdom" that jesus told us we are apart of. I wish we wrestled more with what that means. Aliens, strangers,...the world was not worthy of them... not sure this could be said about my life. It’s all part of us losing our identity. Anyway, I love your blog dude. Keep rockin it.

Thu Nov 04, 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger erin said...

also lovin' your blog. i actually might add you to my list. do you think that's weird?
anyway thanks for sharing your thoughts. they're good!

Thu Nov 04, 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

thanks allan and erin for your feedback. I would be honored to be linked off your page erin. How do you add those anyways? I am a bit tech special. It is always awesome to connect with others who want to see a movement toward something different. I have enjoyed both of your blogs as well. thanks for writing.

Mon Nov 08, 03:51:00 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

thanks for your comments bosca. I agree that we should be involved in 'our world' to make it a better place and be used by Christ. It does seem to come down to personal responsibility and we all need to act. It is never my hope to merely sit back and complain when I have the chance to act. My deepest desire is to live a life truly worth living and if by God's grace I can motivate others to that end, praise God. May this be a time where we do more then talk about prayer and instead drop on our knees and seek the source of all positive change.

Mon Nov 08, 04:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home