Monday, November 01, 2004

something new

Today as I was sitting at a nearby coffee shop enjoying my usual double mocha and studying Hebrew at a first grade level a friend stopped by the table to chat. As we talked politics, school and faith she made a comment about how she thought I might be part of a 'new' wave in the church and could be used to shake things up. I think that is one of the best compliments I have received in a long time and it makes me wonder what that could look like. It seems to me that we live in a time where my generation and those younger could be part of something amazing. The cynic in me wonders if that is not what every young generation thinks but in the midst of doubt I believe that this part of history truly could be an amazing time for the Church to be what it is designed to be.

I love the movement toward community, the arts, mystery and authenticity. Could we really be at the start of a Spirit lead revolution? Could it be that our criticisms are true and the church has been asleep at the wheel but that there are signs of a reawakening? This weekend as I spent time with my friend Mary in Chicago, we talked about life and our faith, along with a plethora of less heady but equally enjoyable topics. One of the things I most enjoyed about our time was the ability to be open and honest about doubts and love for God at the same time. I think more and more people are moving toward that kind of faith and it is amazingly refreshing. By that I do not mean to imply that I have anything down but in fact I have very little to nothing figured out. I just love that more and more people can admit that out loud.

So could this be something new? I do not know but I hope so. I can only hope that this generation can be used in a way that truly becomes like Christ and is honest about the whole journey. I guess God can do what God wants to do but here is to hoping and ideally praying.

2 Comments:

Blogger erin said...

yes yes yes. here's to hoping with you about a generation of REAL people. people who are not ashamed of their doubt, not ashamed of their struggles. people who fully embrace their humanness. there is healing power in realness. fo sho. so let us rise up to the calling and make change as a church.
btw, it was nice to meet you for a minute.

Wed Nov 03, 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger allan said...

Ah, jon I'm with you. Like you, the cynic in my old age arises and the lover of history that I am, fears this revolution of a new church is "nothing new under the sun". But of recent a louder voice in me is screaming out for a true authentic revolutionary walk with jesus. I still fear in all this emerging church, reality type of Christianity, a mediocre tolerant faith that is honest… but weak. May it not be! May we not be quick to create a new brand but simply follow the original call of Christ that true followers through out history have lived and died for. Let us hold each other accountable for this lifestyle of daily dying. Let the revolution begin!

Wed Nov 03, 11:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home