Thursday, October 28, 2004

story time

I love the power of a story. I love that I live in a culture and world that embraces stories as foundational and powerful way to express all that we are and all that we wish we could be. Tonight I listened as people told their stories about how Christ had and continues to work in their lives. The telling of a changed life is an amazing thing.
Somehow most of what I know and believe is lodged into my brain because of stories. I credit the Chronicles of Narnia for more of my theology then any seminary class. I remember stories from years ago from good sermons I heard in church or at some conference but rarely remember the point they were making. Jesus was an amazing story teller. His stories still resonate with the core of our very being and challenge those who listen to move from where they are to a much less comfortable place, toward the likeness of God himself. So the question then is why is the Christian culture so poor at story telling. Maybe I am wrong about the power of the story or that Jesus was a great story teller. We do after all have an amazing tendency to see Jesus as we want to. But I think the fact remains. Christians are as a group not a group that work well within the realm of story.
What does it say if Left Behind is our great novel? We are in need of those who can communicate Truth in the form of exciting., personal and moving stories. So with that said, all you creative people write, paint, sculpt and create films. Help the Church be what She is called to be. A power which will change the world. Now off to bed to dream...

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

jon - nice timing. on my way to work, i was reading anne lamott's traveling mercies and she mentions what a sucker she is for a good redemption story. i know her stories aren't like the ones from the chronicles of narnia, but i love them. they're so vivid.

especially the one about trying to teach her son what ash wednesday is about. hilarious. i remember that story perfectly vividly. and, like you, maybe i don't recall the exact point the author was trying to make, but i feel like the chapter has lodged itself firmly inside my head and anytime i think about it, i'm prone to wonder, dream, reflect ... and i believe that's the sign of a good story.

i digress ... glad you're blogging, jon :)
see you soon ...

Fri Oct 29, 06:35:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Hmm, I feel as though journalist Team Paulie is kind of patronizing, addressing the subject (whose title line was "the man, the myth, the legend") as "baby" and "tinky winky." It is no surprise to me, then, that Team Paulie pulls from the archives since I highly doubt such a publication is still in existence. ???

Tue Nov 02, 08:57:00 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

Hey mary, dave and paul, thanks for reading the blog. These things kind of grow on you. Also all the team memories were good until I reread that interview. Now I have been reduced to tears.

Mon Nov 08, 03:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home