Monday, November 08, 2004

crazy lights

Last night I had the chance to step outside and observe one of the more glorious, in my opinion, aspects of the creation. The northern lights were out in all their glory and it was the first time I have ever seen them this far south. The first experience seeing these mysterious lights was in the boundary waters with some close friends where we discussed at length how we could possibly see 'those giant spotlights like you see in car lots' this far out in the wilderness. We are not the quickest group.

I still have no idea how these lights happen or really anything about them other then they are incredible. I have a great respect for those in science but I kind of like my understanding of these kind of things. I love the mystery. There is just something about looking up in the night skies and being reduced to speechlessness. Nature is my favorite and most convincing apologetic. It is beyond my understanding how one can climb a mountain, sit at the edge of a ocean or watch the northern lights and not know in their inner being that there is someone greater out there.

Last night was also a reminder that in the midst of mystery and power, I am loved. Not in that cheesy romantic comedy sort of way but in a way that is so much deeper and I guess, more real. It is the sense that we matter and that we are even more of a creative, unexplainable reality then strange lights in the sky. I am not sure why I was left with that sense but I was and it parallels my understanding of scripture.

So I guess I write this entry as a form of thanks. Thanks to the Almighty creator for putting us into a world that does not easily reduce to equations and where on rare occasions I can walk out my door, look up and say, wow.

2 Comments:

Blogger erin said...

hey jon. i'm also quite tech challanged, but i have an email i could forward onto you with specific instructions for adding links on the side of your page. i'll get your email address from mary...

Tue Nov 09, 01:38:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

jon -

a belated happy birthday to you!! though a day late, i was still thinking of you on your day. 30 is no little thing!

kidding. i hope it was wonderful and that this new year is better than any yet. sweet blessings to you!

Thu Nov 11, 01:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home