Monday, May 02, 2005

who am i?

Some say, at least I would think so, that a person can be defined by their taste in music. If this is at all true, and it seems to be, then this past week makes me wonder who I am. I am going to several plays and concerts over the next couple of weeks to seek my identity and also because I like all of them...

First there is the, flirting with pop, experience when I head to Milwaukee to see Guster. I enjoy Guster. They are not my favorite but there is something cool about a drummer that plays with only his hands. That is the non-musician in me talking since whenever I tell my musical friends how cool I think this is they merely shake their heads and sigh. As if to say, 'Really Jon, anyone with arms could do that'.

Next comes Garbage here in Madison. Granted I won the tickets for this one but I still like Garbage and their angst riddled, chick empowered selves. So for one night I will don my leather pants and grunge t-shirt and rock out to a hometown favorite. (They may be that only because there are not all that many hometown bands that have made it big here.)

Then comes some jazz in Chicago or a performance of the Producers, of which is yet to be decided. Either way this time it will be pseudo-intellectual conversations over a micro-brew and preppy clothes. We will talk about how sophisticated we are and how the world just can't seem to get it right while we have had the luxury of coming to all the right conclusions about most things in the comfort of our living rooms. It is sure to be a good night.

Finally, at least I think so, it is off to the Green Day concert at the Alliant Energy Center. For this one I will have to dig deep and bring out the inner middle schooler. Okay this will actually take very little digging since I do this pretty much every week and I enjoy it. I look forward to the chance to combine sophomoric humor with political outrage when moshing with the 14 years around me. I think I have a chance to come out ahead for once with the whole moshing experience, especially if I get that spiked dog collar I have been eyeing up the last couple of weeks.

So there it is. I am not sure what this says about me. Maybe nothing. But I can't settle for that answer with a psychology degree. Now time to get online and buy some of those 50-cent tickets I have been wanting so bad.

1 Comments:

Blogger me said...

Perhaps what your music choice says about you is that you're well rounded. You can't be pigeon-holed. I see that as an asset, not a liability. The best musicians take several genres and mix them up: for example, Ray Charles' revolutionary mix of gospel and blues. Then there's the whole Americana/Alt. Country (or alt. anything, really)/Singer-Songwriter genre. (speaking of, check out Holly Williams)

And besides, beneath all that makeup, Shirley Manson is a real human being. She's really nice and totally normal. And, she has great music taste. I bet she likes a lot of the same stuff you do. :-)

oh, and few people actually get away with calling me "mel." But, since you've let me call you "hebert" for years, you might just be one of the lucky few. :-)

Tue May 03, 09:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home