Wednesday, October 19, 2005

don't you have a job?

In an attempt to avoid work I began to discuss my next blog with mary. At first I wanted to write about recent lessons in humility in regards to my leadership but I think I will let that sink in a bit more before broadcasting it to the world wide web and all 8 ½ readers.

This week at our thursday meeting for the amazing middle school students of the madison area we will be talking about and practicing service. Service is an interesting thing and means so many things. For example…

There seems to be a love to SERVE in the youth culture of today. This summer we had something called Madison missions with our group and during the week we did several hundred service hours in our community and students loved it. Several of them still talk about it. It was exciting to see them find out that serving can be fun and is one of the best methods to build healthy community that I have ever seen. Perhaps as I long for community in my own life I should seek it out by serving with others.

My SERVE in tennis is awful. I like to think that I am pretty athletic but when it comes to tennis I suddenly feel that my arms somehow have been replaced by giant pieces of string cheese. Okay I don’t really feel like that but they don’t work very well and that sucks.

I am pretty sure that ‘you got SERVED’ is not a good movie but I really don’t know. When I am done writing I should go and put it on reserve at the library so I can find out for myself and learn some new dance moves. (If that is not at all what the movie is about sorry but I would still like to become a better dancer.)

The SERVINGS at Chinese restaurants are huge! Being from a family where the ethical thing do to was clean your plate, even if that meant hiding your peas in the folds or your shirt or napkin to give the appearance of clean, I always feel challenged when going out for Chinese. I need to learn to embrace the idea of left over and think of a steaming pile of rice and sesame beef as a two-meal venture.

I should get back to work. I really don’t think this has helped me at all for speaking on service but at least I am hungry now. Time to give Happy Wok a call.

2 Comments:

Blogger cory said...

also, serve sounds a lot like surf, which i have never done. swerve is something i frequently do to avoid killing squirrels with my car. and scurvy is a disease caused by vitamin c deficiency. vitamin c used to be a spice girl right? and she starred in footloose with...that's right...kevin bacon.

Wed Oct 19, 07:52:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

all of this play on words business reminds me of many, many family dinners at my house. take for example:

kid 1: are you making eggs?
mom: that's eggs-actly right.
dad: ha ha. good yoke.
mom: are you trying to egg me on?
dad: haha, no. you're a good egg.
mom: oh, you're scrambled, alright.

and on and on ... wow. my parents are nerds.

Fri Oct 21, 12:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home