Tuesday, September 20, 2005

what is sin?

I am currently taking a class on Christian Theology and this week we are talking about the nature of sin. This is a more interesting question than I first thought. Sin is such an unpopular topic these days in our culture - at least in the world of Madison. To inform another person that they are sinful reeks of casting judgment unfairly and pointing the finger without first examining your own life. The popular response is to personalize faith and let people figure out their own system of personal beliefs and what works for them. This sounds and feels good. At least it does for me. I like being liked. I do not like making other people feel bad about themselves or feel judged, fairly or unfairly. I also like it when people feel good about themselves and see the importance of this from my psychology background. The idea of sin is not something that I like to meditate on or make the focus of even my personal faith.

But this creates a problem. What if sin really is something? First, what is sin? Secondly, is it something that everyone does? Thirdly, if sin exists (which I tend to think it does), and everyone does it (again I think so), then are there consequences to this sin? And finally, if there are consequences, what are they? If I am to take the Bible for what it seems to be saying, sin is a major issue and something that should be talked about a lot more. Granted it should be presented with grace but what is the use of grace without the presence of sin? We don't need grace if there is not something we need unearned forgiveness for.

I am not sure where I am going with this other than the church needs to learn to communicate the problem of sin in a way that convicts while also teaching the amazing value of each and every person. Sin is not a condition that makes us less valuable; instead, sin stops us from experiencing the value we have before a perfect and loving God.

At least that's what I think for tonight, but I'm a verbal processor so things might change tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

good verbal processing, jon.

i know this isn't along the lines of "what is sin?" (my very brief comment on that would be "sucks. avoid it"), but your comment on verbal processing pulled me back to 7th grade english class.

my teacher, miss andrews, had us do these streaming journals every now and then. we'd open our spiral notebooks and just pour out our thoughts. everything was one full sentence. it was wonderful. being forced to process for 50 minutes and get through all of the distractions to the core of what was really going on in my head was the best part of english class.

well, that and the 15-year-old-7th-grader tony kohman whose loud and rebellious side turned very shy and nervously awkward around me during class. oh, if only he hadn't impregnanted those girls freshman year of HS and been shipped off to drug rehab the following year. just think of where i'd be now ....

Thu Sep 22, 03:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NEW POST. NOW.

Tue Sep 27, 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nowhere bad. I am actually his girlfriend of over five years. We have a beautiful son and tony has calmed down a bit.

Fri Jun 30, 09:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home