Sunday, September 18, 2005

no need to kill the other team

I am sitting here about to go to bed since my body is exhausted after a full day yet my mind is up and active and I am hoping I might be able to connect some sort of coherent thoughts and put them down on 'paper'.

Today I took my first step toward even thinking seriously about the previous post, the Ironman part and not the becoming a US Supreme Court justice. That would be cool too but maybe in the next life. At 8:00 this morning my brother, father and I along with about 800 other people did a mini-triathlon. The atmosphere at these sort of events is incredibly supportive. Most people are chatting with each other before, during and after and pushing each other on to do the best we can. It is such a change from I am used to in competitions. In soccer and other high school sports that I did there was an attitude that each person and team was out to conquer and perhaps even destroy the opponent. Although one might let the words 'good luck' slip from the lips, they were never honestly spoken. We did not wish each other the best. If one team was better than the other we might even secretly hope that someone would get hurt. Or...maybe that is just me and I am a wicked person.

Even when I was on a bowling team we wanted to destroy each other. That's right people I was on a bowling team for two years while in high school. Now for those of you who know me you may chalk this up to the somewhat hick nature of Eau Claire folk but this is not true. Bowling in a league is fun. At least our team made it fun. We would sneak in several Mountain Dews each week and when we were given a good pair of bowling shoes we would borrow them for the rest of the season. My shining moment in the league was the day that I bowled a 210 and was carried out by cheering teammates on their shoulders. Actually no one carried me anywhere but I did get a really cool pin.

I digress. I am excited to be getting into more athletic activities where we can all want the best for the person next to us and compete against ourselves to strive to surpass what we think we are even capable of. It is a sweet relief not to smile and picture jamming a stick into the spinning tire of the biker next to me but instead say, 'keep up the good work and good luck'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home