Monday, September 12, 2005

boyhood dreams

As a kid growing up I often dreamt about what I would one day achieve or become when I reached that unknown destination of being a grown-up. My first memories of answering that question were that I wanted to become a clown or a Supreme Court justice. A noble goal for any 6 year old and a popular thing for my parents to showcase for their grown-up friends. Whenever things got boring they just brought in lil'ol Jon and asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up and I would give my answer and people would laugh and say I could combine them and become the president. I still don't quite get that one but I remember at least two people saying it.

Later I began to mature my goals and by 6th grade I had firmly decided that I wanted to be a professional soccer player and one day play in the World Cup. I was convinced that this was a hard but realistic goal since I was the leading scorer in the city Parks and Rec championship match. The world was my oyster. I even wrote an essay for my English class in 7th grade putting forth this goal and how I was going to go about reaching it. It was a good essay, actually I am pretty sure it wasn't, but my teacher wrote back that if I set my mind to it I would have a good chance at success. Sadly this was a lie but I was excited at the moment.

I am now neither a professional soccer player nor on my way to the Supreme Court, although with all these open seats my figures are crossed. My job sometimes requires acting a little like a clown but in all honesty they kind of freak me out so I try and avoid thinking in those terms. So those dreams are now merely fond memories. But now I have a new dream. Yesterday was the Madison Ironman and seeing these men and women put their bodies through hell for way too long and yet overcome and succeed was amazing. I am challenged and excited to at least dream about doing the same thing. What an incredible feat of human strength and will.

I have been able to finish a marathon and I did a hundred miles on my bike yesterday and don't feel too bad. I hate swimming but I am working on it. So why not combine them all and see if I can try it and not die. We shall see. Maybe this is another 7th grade essay but than again maybe not. Maybe just maybe I could do it. We shall see.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, coming from a teacher...If you set your mind to it, you have a good chance at success. ;-)

(We have an entire course in writing variations on that phrase in college.)

But don't die. That would suck.

Mon Sep 12, 05:43:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

an entire course in writing variations on that phrase? WOW. what else can you use?

and jon, "see if you can try it and not die" would make an excellent t-shirt. it could be the new slogan for all kinds of extreme sports. i'd register that trademark asap.

Tue Sep 13, 05:00:00 AM  
Blogger me said...

one of the coolest things I ever heard a pastor say in a sermon/lecture was "You can't do anything you put your mind to. No, really, you can't." It was awesome and liberating, actually. It reaffirmed the side of me knew, even if my best friend was a chemical engineer and even if we were equally intelligent, I could never be a chemical engineer.
however, nor would I want to. & I think that's important.
you've accomplished a lot athletically and I think that shows you have the ability and desire to do this. I say, go for it-- and don't die. I agree with Abby, that would suck.
~melissa

Tue Sep 13, 11:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mjon, i'll send you the picture of doug finishing...his message with the picture was that you can do anything you put your mind to...and don't let anyone tell you that you can't. but i know that melissa is right (and her pastor was too)...but i believe in you! pictures from the day are here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sarah329jane/album?.dir=/680a&.src=ph

Tue Sep 13, 11:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. i think karen is doing it again, with tracey cornell and kate for the first time. you can train with them!

Tue Sep 13, 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

Thanks for the pics Sarah they are amazing and just make me want to go for it all the more.

Tue Sep 13, 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger me said...

heh, I read that as "pictures of Doug fishing" and really couldn't understand how those pictures made Jon want to do Iron Man more. Then I re-read. d'oh.

p.s. Hi SJD!

Wed Sep 14, 01:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anderson,

You are an amazing athlete. You could totally do the Ironman. But, please don't kill yourself trying.

Wed Sep 14, 03:29:00 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Wow all the comments about you all not wanting me to kill myself are wonderful and make me feel loved and at the same time make me wonder if you think there is a good chance if i tried this.

Wed Sep 14, 06:04:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

just wanted to pull your comments into the 2-digit world. welcome :)

honestly, i say go for the ironman. if you train for it, i'll run crazy legs. that seems fair.

Thu Sep 15, 01:47:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Okay, Mr. Anderson. Here's comment #11. Now will you post a new blog?

Sun Sep 18, 07:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home