Tuesday, August 30, 2005

jumping in

I am running on fumes. Yesterday we took our small group of middle school boys into the woods of southern Wisconsin and then to Great America for the day. I forgot that eager anticipation is the only thing that will get a 13 year old boy up early and they were very excited about our time today. So at the late hour of 5:30 they were up and trying to take down all the tents so we could get a 'good start'. What in the world?!

I was reminded today that I really do like these guys. I would have never thought that God would direct my life to a place where I was working with snotty middle school students but here I am and I am thankful for it. They are a strange mixture of innocence and raging hormones and almost to a person are encountering Jesus for the first time in a personal way.

Our new year begins this next week and today was a reminder of what is soon to come. I would love to ask you for your prayers as you remember as we sure can use them. Specifically we are attempting to join with another church in town which will add a great amount of diversity to both groups in a number of different ways. I know of people trying to do this sort of thing a number of times and more often then not I hear of failures and frustrations. That both scares me and excites me. I am still working through what are the 'right' reasons to bring such different groups together and if times do prove difficult, then what vision is makes it all worth it? I don't know yet, maybe I never will.

Now I am off to listen to something other then punk music and cleanse my soul with adult conversation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

that is hilarious.

but at least it was private. my first "real" kiss was in the woods with a 15-year-old seventh grader whose buddy, lenny, was behind us about 15 feet chain smoking.

Sat Sep 03, 02:12:00 PM  
Blogger erin said...

i really like cheese. actually i'd like to be eating some cheese right now. just thought you might like to know that.

Wed Sep 07, 01:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home