Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I admit it ...

Well, I did it. I've been ignoring this growing affection for so long, but it just won't settle down. I've tried to talk myself out of it, tried to tell myself that it's just an infectious pop tune, but I can't overcome it. The truth is ...

Ryan Cabrera ROCKS.

I know. It seems really unlike me. But when I heard his new single, Shine On, yesterday on the radio, I found myself singing along right into the hairbrush I keep in my car (what? so maybe I don't have a lot of hair to brush, but that doesn't mean that what's there shouldn't be tended to). Seriously, if you could hear the lyrics, you'd understand. I'm just saying, look at this:

Shine on
You were made to shine on
And you know I love you
And even if we can or can't be friends
I'll be with you until the very end
So shine on
You were made to

Honestly, when my brother and I were driving together the other day and he made some comment about how Ryan Cabrera was really lame, I laughed with him. But I didn't want to. Because I identify with Ryan. It's like were brothers from a different mother. When I was surfing his site this afternoon, I read his bio and thought - wow! this is totally me! Here, read it:

"If a Hollywood studio produced a movie trailer to introduce you to the career of Ryan Cabrera, it would feature Rockyesque moments of determination and triumph of spirit, Risky Business-like duplicity, and the innocence and absurd charm of an Adam Sandler movie."

Guys! It was like reading a synopsis of my own life! I guess I just feel this kinship that I've never felt before with anyone. And I know it makes me lame, too. And I know I'll probably take a lot of crap for it, but I don't care anymore. I'm not gonna hide this. I just like his music. And I know we'd be best friends.

He's coming to The Eagles Club in Milwaukee at the end of the month. I really want to get tickets. So all I'm saying is, my birthday is November 10th, so if anyone wanted to get me a present, well, here's the link.

God, it feels good to admit that. Hope you guys understand how important it is for me to be honest. I feel like Ryan's really encouraged me to just "Shine On."

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Jon. So many things I learn about you in just one post. I haven't even heard of Ryan Cabrera, but...obviously you have. And no, I didn't know you kept a hairbrush in your car...? But thanks a lot for your honesty. :) And maybe if you're lucky some good friends of yours will go in on tix for you to see your bff Ryan in concert.

Wed Sep 28, 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

That's so funny, Jon. When we were talking about Ryan the other day with your brother, I thought I saw a look of concern flash across your face as Joel laughed about friends of yours going to the most recent Ryan Cabrera concert. But I didn't really think twice about it.

I think it's awesome that you're willing to be this honest about your platonic feelings for him. He does seem like a really cool dude. And where I would be judgmental, you've really embraced him just as he is.

I mean, I still think the song is lame, but it's cool that you've got a hero now.

P.S. Thanks for finally posting!!

Wed Sep 28, 12:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,

I'm impressed. Talk about emotional vulnerability. Good luck on taking that flak you're likely to get. Do the junior high kids you work with check this thing?

peace brave one,

Chris

Wed Sep 28, 12:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only you'd felt this way last year Jon, I coulda got you in. I had a student who met him cuz her dad was a rock promoter at the time. She and another girl from my class met him and were pretty excited about the pictures he signed. Who ever said you have nothing in common with 4th grade girls? ;-)

I have no problem dishing this stuff cuz, well, I'm a not so secret Bon Jovi fan. I get crap for it, but hey, I like what I like. Embrace what you love Jon, embrace it. :-)

Wed Sep 28, 02:19:00 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

ok ok people, this is what happens when you give out your password so someone else can 'fix' your blog. Just so you all know. I do not like Mr Cabrera's music nor am I or ever will be a fan. But I must admit that I do think his hair is big so he has that going for him. Also I like this blog because although I wrote none of it, it brings out an honest side in many of the readers. So all that to say - Ryan sucks and Mary is in big trouble.

(ok, ok, i have to blame somebody. the guys here are giving me way too hard of a time. i can't help it if liking Ryan Cabrera AND the backstreet boys makes me a little dorky. it's just who i AM people)

Wed Sep 28, 03:39:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

hey, jon. that's an awesome attitude. i'm sorry you felt like you have to blame me. cause really, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. it's only God's opinion that matters.

stay strong, bro.

Wed Sep 28, 03:42:00 PM  
Blogger erin said...

to be read like Billy Madison...
"i see what's going on here."
i know someone who is evil, and i'm so pround.

Thu Sep 29, 07:20:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

erin, i love that you thought the picture of ryan was actually jon with a wig. that's awesome.

Thu Sep 29, 07:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jon -
as i don't really know you, this blog was a great insight into your heart. you must be an incredible man.
i can't wait to meet!
shelly

Thu Sep 29, 08:20:00 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

ok this is out of control. Again NEVER give out your password, especially to the blog queen. Secondly shelly I am not sure about this blog being where you get a sense of 'my heart' and erin, that is awesome if you really thought it was a pic of me with ryan's hair. I wish it was true.

Thu Sep 29, 09:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

silent office sputter-laughter hilarious. nice work, Mary. good luck, Jon.

Thu Sep 29, 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

This whole exchange is HILarious. An intersection of truth, identity issues, friendship and well, shininess. Nice work all. =)

Thu Sep 29, 11:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home