Wednesday, December 07, 2005

bounce bounce bounce

I have been reading Rob Bell’s book, Velvet Elvis the past couple of weeks and one of his metaphors has stuck in my mind. It is about his trampoline and faith. It sticks because it reminds me of many times I have been with middle school students in the same sort of setting he describes.

The other day I was at Isaac’s house for a family dinner and as the food was being prepared the kids in the family and I messed around in their large backyard with footballs, Frisbees and their trampoline. Our time turned into a talent show of sorts as four out of the five kids took turns showing off what amazing things they could do on the trampoline. I swear I saw half a dozen near death experiences in fewer than ten minutes as they flipped, twisted and bounced for glory.

Then it was my turn. They challenged my to try the same things they had been doing. My cynical side suspected they just wanted to see death up close and figured I would be as good as anyone but in actuality I think they had pure motives. They desired that I experience some of the same exhilarating fun they were having. The rush of bouncing eight feet into the air, of being bounced to unexpected heights thanks to the timing of others on the trampoline.

I had a blast. However I need to be honest and admit that I was a wuss. Somehow in my old age I have become fearful of pain and go to great lengths to avoid it. But even in light of my limited willingness to experience all that the trampoline had to offer I had an amazing time.

Bell writes that our faith should be like jumping on a trampoline. I tend to pick metaphors apart and as my friend Cory points out I am cynical. But somehow this image has stuck with me this past week. I want to be experiencing Christ and all the joys and fears and risks that that involves and because of what comes from that ongoing experience I want to invite others to jump with me. Not because I am supposed to or because doing so makes me a better person but because I care about others and I want them to be part of something amazing.

That of course means that I need to think it is worth jumping myself. Do I believe that a life in Christ is something I would want those I love to have as well? Do I live what I confess with my mind? Do I find joy in a life in Christ? I am commanded to be joyful, not necessarily happy, but joyful. Am I?

God help me to learn to jump and by your grace invite those around me to do the same.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

amen, rev.

Wed Dec 07, 09:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I love the metaphor that living life for and with Christ is like going for it on a trampoline. A great picture, especially as I recall my experiences on a trampoline...yes, witnessing near death feats, and wussing out when it comes to literally throwing myself into the same death-defying stunts. So, is whole-heartedly following Christ really on the same plane as hurling my body into a trampoline, aware that I just might break my neck, but that's the way it's supposed to be done? Maybe. But I admit, I hesitate. Like you said, Jon, I don't WANT to experience pain.... Hmm. Well, a good metaphor to think about nonetheless: the beckoning trampoline of thrills [and death], and my chicken response.

Wed Dec 07, 09:32:00 AM  
Blogger cory said...

first, i did not know rob bell had a book, so i will definitely need to checkt that out. have you listened to his sermons lately, jon? mars hill has set out to effectively end poverty in west michigan. that doesn't really suck at all. the crazy thing is...they probally come pretty close to doing it.

another thing i like about that metaphor is how it represents evangelism as well (as you allude to at the end). its not brow-beating or logical argumentation. its, "come on in, the water's great!" its, "here, taste this, it's amazing!" its, "have you ever seen anything so beautiful?" i love that.

Thu Dec 08, 06:23:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Jon - did Mary punk your blog again with that "stefano dimera" sidebar link, or are you really a Days fan?

Thu Dec 08, 07:24:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

ok ok ok. i was so BORED out of my mind yesterday at work. in fact, it's already 7:07 am here, an hour later than i normally get up, because i've spent the last hour justifyng why i should work from home today.

man, oh, man, oh, man. i need a break. i need a long vacation. i need just to get away. for real. i'm going out of my mind.

Fri Dec 09, 05:09:00 AM  
Blogger cory said...

j-funk...

check out some of the "reviews" of the book listed on amazon. if you have time, let us know your thoughts. and, did you start/finish the da carson book on the emergent church?

man, am i struggling with this stuff. i feel like a pariah in my church, which is super.

Mon Dec 12, 07:22:00 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

I did look into the reviews and there is one that I would love to discuss at greater length. Maybe I will make that my next post. Overall I have some areas I disagree with the book but it is worth the read.

Mon Dec 12, 08:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home