Wednesday, November 16, 2005

care to share?

I only have a few minutes before I need to leave for an afternoon full of meetings but here is something that has been on my mind the last day or so…

I love reading and thinking in ideals and this is where I spend much of my mental time. I want to see the world become a better place. I want the church to be the bride of Christ and not dirty herself so quickly. I want Jesus followers to help the poor, cure the sick, care for those who everyone else has given up on. I want societies, when they think of Christians, to think of the above things and not of all that is negative. I want to care for the environment, to celebrate the arts, to find Truth all around us…

But then my idealism runs hard into reality and I get a bloody nose. I hate how much I and in turn so many of my passionate generation can talk but how at least I feel the task is so big that there is little that I can do. I know that deep down it is about each of us doing the little things. Things like sending money where it is needed, going on short-term trips to have our eyes opened and start relationships, it is giving a dollar, an extra shirt, saying a kind word, inviting a friend to church, recycling. It is not merely being nice people but it is being the hands of feet of Christ and doing all the small things. Together as we do that we can and will make a difference.

Here is my suggestion and we will see if this will even get off the ground. I want to create a forum to share stories of how we are taking steps even small ones to make a difference to move towards the ideals it seems that we all have. I want to create a place, maybe this blog, to post stories and links of what we are involved with.

I want this to have only two guidelines for sharing stories:

1. All posts need to be anonymous. It is good to share what we are doing but we need not run the risk of this being a place of pride.

2. You can only share ideas for others if you have tried it yourself.

So with that said I would love to hear what you, specifically Christ followers, are all doing, small or big to be the body of Christ on earth. I would love for the stories to begin. (if the response is at all good I am thinking of starting a separate blog just for these sorts of stories but then again I am an idea person and maybe this is not a good one)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

That is a great quote and exactly what I am talking about. How to places look different because of Christ followers and what are all the little things that happen to make a difference? That is what I would love to hear more about.

Fri Nov 18, 01:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home