Tuesday, November 29, 2005

what to build on?

I have been wondering about my faith lately.

As mentioned in prior posts I am reading about the classic Arminian/Calvin debate. Each camp in this debate holds to views that they see as foundational to their Christian faith. The books I have been reading have a level of humility that is refreshing and yet the authors hold firmly to their views.

People who have strong convictions challenge me. They know what they believe and they defend it to their last. And yet those sorts of people sometimes scare me. Like the man who stands at the center of the university campus declaring that all gays will burn in Hell. That man has strong convictions and maintains them despite popular belief. He thinks he is helping people; somehow pointing others towards God. I think he is dangerously wrong.

The question that keeps rumbling in my mind is this, ‘what beliefs are we to hold to dogmatically?’ or ‘As a Christian, what is essential to my faith?’ What is important but not essential? And what is merely window dressing?

What does God really think about gay marriage? Evolution in the public schools. The sort of government our country has. Stem cell research. International trade agreements. What is on television each night. Forgiveness of foreign debt relief. And so on and so forth.

The easy thing is to say these questions don’t matter and to get on living as I think I should. And there does seem to be some wisdom to that. And yet our actions are built on our beliefs so I want to be building on what is truly important. Now back to reading that claims to be foundational. I pray for wisdom.

5 Comments:

Blogger cory said...

well said, jon. i am in the midst of a similar crisis, constantly shifting between the extremes of, "all the matters is Christ and Him crucified" and feeling the need to take up my picket sign and head to 1600 pennsylvania. i would love to hear your thoughts on jc's (jimmy carter...the other jc) new book. some good discussion points, especially on church state issues. oh, and i finally updated my blog. word to your mutha.

Wed Nov 30, 05:51:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I have to say, about two years ago, the possibility that I was somewhere between moderately and "dangerously wrong" terrified me to the point of completely rethinking my faith.

Specifically, I was on my way to doing some sort of foreign missionary work in the evangelical fashion. But I felt increasingly uncomfortable. What if what I was preaching wasn't really for everyone? And if it is for everyone in the whole world, than what about all the people who will never hear -- and let's face it, that's a lot of people in China, India, Africa, even in the West, who will never had an encounter with God.

The thought that God is loving but also creates people that he know will spend eternity suffering in hell is a "fundamental" to evangelical thinking that I cannot reconcile. I just can't believe that. Believe me I've tried.

I realize this is a much more fundamental struggle than you are probably dealing with, but the tension between what is essential and what is just background music in the Bible, following Christ, Christianity, is something real to many people, especially in our ever-changing world.

Wed Nov 30, 10:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

on an unrelated note:
did you ever see those pictures i took of you...that one day i was on the mysterious picture taking mission?
just wondering...i never knew what it was for.
adios, love-s
PEACE.

Thu Dec 01, 07:46:00 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

I never did know what those were about so no I have not seen them. Also congrats on a the new 'family' member.

Thu Dec 01, 08:42:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

hmm, jon, i think you're wonderful, but really? a whole week with no new blog??

Mon Dec 05, 05:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home