Wednesday, February 01, 2006

come on people


Because it has been a long time since I have posted and I have had a hard time coming up with something to talk about I thought I would take a moment to rant on something that I hold near and dear. There are few things in life I love more than a good debate. I love hearing people who know far more than I ever will about a given topic put forth their best argument in an attempt to persuade listeners to come to their viewpoint.

I remember a night in college where a world renowned atheist and monotheist came together and in front of a few thousand people debated the existence of God. What stood out to me was the amount of respect that the debaters had for each other and the respectful and yet passionate way they presented their views.

As a Christ follower I believe that all that is Truth is God’s truth and will rise to the top of the sea of ideas that exist all around us. I also believe that we are blinded by sin and that it is by God’s grace that we can see the truth but it is out there and should be sought.

My pet peeve and the reason for blogging, other than to stop the ‘post now!’ comments, is that I sense that most people do not really believe in actual debate or the power of truth and instead feel obligated to use manipulation of facts and persuasion by emotionally misleading terms.

For example, saying that in the abortion debate you are pro-life. Come now, is that to suggest that the other side is pro-death? I believe strongly that abortion is wrong but I don’t believe my friends who disagree are gleeful when an abortion takes place. Of another example is a common response when a Christian is asked what his view is concerning a certain doctrine and he responds, ‘I believe what the bible says about ____’. Again, what does that make my view if I happen to not agree, the anti-bible view?

I think what set this idea off was hearing about the confirmation of Judge Alito and hearing how partisan the discussion was about his confirmation. It seems excepted in the political realm that people can and even should cherry pick cases to paint a person in a certain light even if that does not fairly represent the person.

Oh if we could just learn to fight fair.

4 Comments:

Blogger sara and matt said...

I appreciate your frustrations, Jon. We do need to learn to coexist as brothers and sisters while being open about our views, opinions and beliefs and respectful of the views, opinions, and beliefs of others. It is really a struggle in our church, which is quite heterogeneous. In the fall, the number of Bush and Kerry bumper stickers in the parking lot were more or less even. There are many on both sides of the debate about homosexual marraige and ordination. Pro-life, pro-choice, pro Iraq war, anti Iraq war, pro-environment, pro-big business. They all exist, and I'm thankful for opportunities to learn from others and see my growing edges as I encounter and learn to love those with whom I disagree.

Sat Feb 04, 09:03:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

i think of anyone i know, jon, you argue the best. i hate arguing and i'd rather everyone just get along - or let me just always be right - so getting to learn how to argue is a great benefit of knowing you.

i think one of the hardest parts to debating fairly is that the times we're most often witness to the "great debates," it's simply a mud-slinging match between candidates who really differ only on gay marriage and abortion (although, i really do enjoy the moments when they bring up topics like education in a way that makes their opposition look anti-education and anti-child. hilarious).

i'd love to see candidates engage in respectful, passionate debate - much like what you and i saw in college - on primetime tv. how great would that be.

Sun Feb 05, 06:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,

Interesting topic. I realize, after reading your blog and Mary and Sara and Matt's comments, that I don't know how many, if any, "good debates" I've witnessed. I've read some good arguments--and seldom "heard" them.

Maybe it's difficult for people to argue with each other without tripping over our own worth. We avoid argument or conflict in an attempt to not communicate that we agree with whatever or whoever is telling this person that they are not worth what they want to be worth if they are found to be wrong. ? Maybe.

I like to argue, too. Sarah has adjusted to my desire to "have it out" when a disagreement arises a bit. And I enjoy meeting respectful arguers. Maybe we should arange an argument. :) Peace.

Mon Feb 06, 11:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and maybe we trip up in ever thinking that we could be "right."

Mon Feb 06, 11:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home