Tuesday, May 04, 2010

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years


While I have enjoyed the ideas provoked by all my readings over the past several weeks, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years was by far the most fun to read. I wanted to savor each chapter but could keep myself from turning the page. Last week I headed out for a solo camping trip for a couple days so part of what made this book great was the setting it was read in.

I was at Governor Dodge State Park and wandered around for the day until I found some rocks to climb up and surprised with a ledge view above the trees that looked out over the lake. I sat on a rock in the full sun and wind and read about life as a story. Miller writes about how our life is a story and asks himself and therefore challenges us to ask, if we are living a good story. Another way he puts it is, if our life was made into a movie would it be the kind of movie we would want to go to? Would anyone? For some reason the question of whether or not I am living a good story has stuck with me. I think part of the reason it has been so thought provoking is that question is at the heart of what my sabbatical has been all about. I have the chance to step back, evaluate and ask myself if I am living the sort of story I want to, or the story that I am called to.

I long for a better story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home