Sunday, November 26, 2006

reflections #2

Some reflections on Communicating for a Change by Andy Stanley

Communicating for a Change is a good book for those who have/get to teach/preach. I would guess this book would be of little interest to most people but I found it helpful. The first part is written as a modern parable about a preacher who is struggling and ends up being mentored on how to better teach by an unsuspecting truck driver. I have observed a growing trend on communicating by the use of story but sometimes when authors want to make a point and use story to express it, the point comes across as awkward and contrived. I think that is the case here.

However the second half Stanly breaks down what he believes is the best way to communicate. He emphasizes the need to make a sermon around one crystal clear point. Everything else should support that point. My first reaction when I read that something should be done a certain way is to want to rebel. I think that is my anti-authoritarian crap coming out. And yet as I read through Stanley’s ‘Imperatives’ I found myself persuaded.

His seven steps in putting together a clear presentation are:
Determine a goal: What am I trying to accomplish?
Pick a point: What am I trying to say?
Create a map: What’s the best route to your point?
Internalize the message: What’s my story?
Engage my audience: What’s my plan to capture and keep their attention?
Find my voice: What works for me?
Start all over: What’s the next step?

I believe that the gift of teaching is an imperative one for the health of the church, just as all gifts are. I am determined after this reading that I need to work and work hard on improving as a teacher. There is so much I can learn and I find it motivating to think about what Christian communities could look like if each person worked at improving what they believe they are good at for the sake of those around them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

I got a lot from reading that book a few months ago. Andy Stanley is a great communicator, so I think he's really someone worth learning from. I loved how he maps out the sermon process as a journey more than an outline and how it involves connecting with people and sharing one point more than overloading them with lots of info. Good stuff...

Tue Dec 05, 04:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home