Thursday, August 24, 2006

where have all the men gone?

As mentioned in the past post this time of the year for me is a small bit of down time before regular programming at our church begins. One of the things that I have to do each year is work to rebuild our volunteer team. This happens in a variety of ways and I am thankful for the help of other volunteers and staff to make our needs known and spread the gospel of middle school ministry.

However I have a reoccurring frustration over the past couple of years and sadly this year is no exception. Our ministry is without men. That is not completely true. We have several great guys ranging from high school age to fathers with their own middle school students involved but overall we are hurting. The interest from woman has been awesome but men, hmm. It troubles me to think about what message this sends the students, especially the boys.

Why is this a pattern each year? Is it the age group? Is it my leadership? I tend to think that most guys respond best to a direct call to action so perhaps it is that we have not done that well enough or that my presupposition if false. Either way I am frustrated. In general I think that people who are a regular part of church should be part of making that community work. This means they are involved and volunteer. If the majority of people took more action I believe there would not be the above problems. But my personal problems aside, what is it that keeps people from getting involved at church?

I fear it is our consumer mentality and the lack of the basic understanding that the church is a community and for it to function as it is created to it needs full participation of every person. This leads me to have to look and the mirror and remember that people’s perceptions are influenced by leadership and that it is my job, along with others in leadership, to create a proper biblical understanding of what it means to be part of the church or at least my best understanding.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mean to sound cynical or stereotypical, but I've talked about this lack of men issue with Mike a few times and he seems to think that a lot of guys are just lazy and don't want to go "above and beyond". For what it's worth... could it just be a male propensity towards laziness that leaves the middle school ministry without male leadership?

Thu Aug 24, 02:44:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

i don't think men have a propensity towards laziness really at all. in fact, i really think that men are ridiculously hard workers for the most part.

from my perspective, i think it's a couple things:

1. like you said, jon, i think men need to be challenged to something. i think men often tend to be problem solvers, so if they can see the lack of male volunteers as a problem, they can BE the solution. if they don't know there's a problem, i'm not surprised they aren't stepping up.

2. junior high kids are overlooked. a lot of guys have their glory days in HS, but i can't name even a handful who felt like their junior high years were their shining moments. i think women analyze their feelings over those years quite a lot and respond to the need to connect with girls who are going through the same thing.

3. i really really think it's just about presenting the problem. from my experience working with volunteers, i had an easier time getting guys to volunteer for things than women in a pinch.

4. argh. and finally, i'll say some prayers about it. because male leadership in the church is SO SO SO SO SO important.

and that's all for now.

Fri Aug 25, 10:39:00 AM  
Blogger Bret said...

I blame the lack of good computer architecture jobs in Madison, but then, I could be completely wrong.

Fri Aug 25, 06:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks mary... i think we were thinking about too many college-age males we know and not men as a whole- i do know a lot of ridiculously hard working men... but at the same time, Mike says he just doesn't know that many ambitious guys- maybe they are all just waiting for a challenge worth pursuing?

Fri Aug 25, 09:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who are "the lindroths?!" Sorry!

Sat Aug 26, 10:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if it isn't laziness or not being asked but in many cases not believing that they are capable. If a volunteer opporunity sounds like a relationship thing many guys may feel inadequate in that department. If however they were invited to do something with a group of middle schoolers that may seem within their abilities.
I think many guys feel they are just making it in the relationships they have (spouse, their own kids, etc.)and to suppose that they might be effective in relationships with an additonal group may be rather daunting.
Just a thought.

Mon Aug 28, 06:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has been an interesting discussion...I've seen a few books talking about why men aren't connecting with a lot of churches/ministry...I haven't read them, but I feel like they would touch on a lot of these points.

In the last couple of years, I’ve started to ask myself, along with the question "who/how do I ask?", "what exactly am I asking this person to?"

I've realized in the past year or so that I never got excited about inviting someone to a church building for a church service. I didn't get excited about inviting someone to the LINK for a Tuesday night college ministry....but I DID get excited about inviting someone to a community where life change is taking place. I DO get excited about inviting people to experience a movement more so than a ministry.

So, I think I'm going to start asking myself the questions "Is there movement taking place?" and "Is there life change taking place?"...and use those as the selling points when trying to get people to join a cause/ministry. I think it's really easy to minimalize a volunteer need and miss the eternal and spiritual reality of what can take place when someone gives of themself to help others.

Tue Aug 29, 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

Thanks all for the comments. The more I think about it, it seems that there is no 'one thing' that keeps men from stepping it up in ministry. Nor is there one answer that would move every guy towards action. It does seem that all of you are saying that there needs to be specific, clear needs communicated and a compelling reason for being part of the answer. I look forward to seeing how this all works out in our ministry.

Tue Aug 29, 02:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, I loved your point... and I love inviting people to do something that we are passionate and excited about along with us. And I love inviting people to be life changers and part of a God-orchestrated movement. But I think it is important that we know people personally and ask people who we think can share in that passion. Maybe we can share our excitement about changing a student's life, and our excitment about an exciting student ministry, but if the person doesn't first have a heart for students, we'll come up fruitless. We can sell excitment, but if the person doesn't care about the ministry/cause to begin with, I don't think movement will make them stay involved. I think God needs to first call them to certain ministries, and we just need to be there to encourage them to say yes to that call.

Tue Aug 29, 09:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There might be some guys at access who, with the proper encouragement, might be more up to the task. College boys are lazy. Men are not.

Fri Sep 01, 07:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home