Wednesday, June 07, 2006

ode to the bw

Since last blogging a lot has happened or at least I have had the chance to cram in several ‘adventures’ between the end of school and the beginning of summer ministry events. The ability for flexibility is one of my favorite things about the job I have. I love that things are always changing and that like the students’ school schedule, my year changes every fall and spring with a gap for vacation built in.

That is why a few weeks ago right after a 5th grade retreat and a wedding; I hopped in a car with a couple great friends and headed to Eau Claire to prepare for a week in the Boundary Waters. I have been able to make this trip seven out of the last eight years (is that right Jared?) and I love it. I have yet to find a better place on earth where I experience rest and peace like I do in far northern Minnesota.

I have often wondered and conversed with others why we love the BW so much and here are some of the reasons that this place is a little slice of heaven on earth.

1. The solitude is food for the soul. We are never really alone as I always go in groups of 4-6 but we can go days without seeing another person so there is a feeling of our group being the only people out there. Maybe this is the introvert in me but I love the break from all people except the few that I am with.

2. There is something powerful about being in a place that changes at a different rate than the rest of the world around it. We talked about how no matter what happened in the news while we were gone this place does not care. Thanks to the safe keeping of the state of Minnesota this area is largely untouched and unchanged and for me that is a healthy reminder to how important the decisions I make every day really are. Not very.

3. There are no emails, internet, phone calls or meetings in the BW. Enough said.

4. There is a predictable pattern to each day and it is a simple one. The list of activities mainly include paddling, setting up camp, breaking down camp, preparing food, eating that food and cleaning up the food, portaging and occasional fishing and swimming. That is it. It has just a hint of survival mode and is restful to my brain this is all too often multitasking. The biggest choice each day is usually what dinner to eat that night.

5. Time with people I like. The BW brings out great discussions and I have had some of the best up there. Discussions have ranged from philosophy of esthetics to the last time we took a dump (things change a bit when women have come) and can go from one to the other in a matter of seconds.

6. Finally (and there are most likely more but this is starting to get too long) is the chance to submerse myself in creation nearly free from the effects of people. Nowhere else do I have the chance to see fish spawning, moose appear at the edge of the lake, loons dive for food only feet from our campsite or eagles perch in nearby trees. Nor do I have the chance to silently stare out at emerald green hillsides and watch the effects of the wind along the surface of the lake. All the sounds, smells and sights of nature help to put my soul and rest and remind me that I am very small and fragile and that my worries and stresses really are not that big of a deal.

So there is my ode to the BW but now I am back and already much has happened but that is for another entry for another day. For at least this moment I am thankful for the chance to reflect on the time I had with great friends in the far north.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jared said...

I will sing the praises of the BWCA along with you. A dose of real reality makes the "real world" endurable.

Thanks for another amazing trip. Let's make it 8 out of 9 next summer.

Fri Jun 09, 11:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks again for taking me along. My first trip was a great one--much thanks to you. (And if you ever take me through another portage that reminds me of the road to Golgotha I may reconsider the bounds of our friendship.) :)

Just kidding. I'm almost healed from the bug bites. But, honestly I loved that trip anyway! Awesome time.

Fri Jun 16, 11:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Matt:

Amen to your ode. I wish we were there right now...

Wed Jun 21, 03:22:00 PM  
Blogger Bret said...

It's a sad day when even I have posted more recently than you Jon. Come on, it's been over two weeks.

Sun Jun 25, 12:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home