Wednesday, April 19, 2006

longing to run


I figured it is about time I blog again after taking over a month off. I have not had much to write about or at least I have not been able to turn my daily routine into something thoughtful or interesting. I decided I might as well give it another go and see what I can get down on the page.

This is the time of year where I want to be outside all day and I have fantasies of running off into the wilderness to live a simply, remote life. There are no phones, no emails and no tv. Something about the simplicity of it all calls to my soul and I long to run off to a life that lacks complexity. I want to hike through the woods, sleep in, drink coffee, write, read and talk with friends.

Then I pause, take a deep breath and remind myself that I have created my own complexity and that running away from it all is not a cure. Thanks to God given free will I am master of my own life in at least some ways and I am responsible for what I make of it. I am not a victim of a busy society but a full participant in it. I can turn off my phone, computer and tv and I can go out and walk in the woods.

I am blessed to live in a town and a country where I have easy access to the beauty of creation and the opportunity for quiet and solitude. I was just talking about God’s command to us to ‘be still’ and how that heals and restores our souls. Being still looks different for different people I know but for me it means turning off the many distractions and giving up another week of American Idol to get out of the apartment and walk in silence.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

after just finishing my blog on why i'm excited for madison, this is another piece of encouragement for me.

it is a good town. and i appreciate that you don't take it for granted.

and ... your blog comes just in time to prepare for next week's "tv turnoff week." nice job.

Wed Apr 19, 07:33:00 PM  
Blogger abby said...

I was also thinking about TV turnoff week as I read your post, since we just got 4 different handouts on it to send home tomorrow. And I hear ya on all you said about escaping and yet knowing I am a full participant in this busy society.

Not only does being still look different for different people, I think it can look different at different times for one person. This year I was able to be still while walking to all the monuments in Washington, D.C. Next week it could walking through a state park. Learning to be still where we are is maybe the hardest part of being still. Or at least it is for me.

Thu Apr 20, 02:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home