Wednesday, March 01, 2006

it is good

Another thing I am thankful for - one of the greatest sports on the planet: broomball.

I have been trying to figure out my next blog for a few days now and I am starting to feel the heat from at least one person who shall not be named. There are a few things I have been pondering as of late but for the moment I am going to reflect and be thankful. For me this is a conscious choice that I need to make from time to time since my brain gravitates towards evaluating, critiquing and being just plain cynical.

I just finished a meeting with our student leadership team which is to say the small group of cool students who have an almost impossible time staying on topic and forget the purpose for our group's existence about every 30 seconds. And I love them. I love their energy and inexhaustible desire to have fun.

I am thankful for our snow camp this weekend - even though I was ready to sleep for about 30 hours straight on Sunday night, because it was worth it. It was worth it for the stories of great conversations had. It was worth it because I got to deck guys into the snow banks while playing broomball all in the name of bonding.

I am thankful to work for a church. No matter how messed up the American church is and no matter how twisted we make it in our sinful nature, God’s grace can’t help but pour in as you hear stories of people’s lives being changed, of people who make radical choices to try and be more like this person Jesus. Of course, community is messy but is there anything of value that is not hard to get?

It is easy for me to go on another rant about what is wrong with this thing or that thing, and I am sure I will go back to that by the next post, but for now I want to force myself to remember what is good. This coming Sunday our church will be talking about the gospel; the goal is to recapture the good news through the help of the Spirit. It has been helpful to reflect on what we tend to try to put into formula and simplify so it can be expressed on a napkin and ask for its power to transform my heart and refresh my faith. I need that. After running hard and being so busy, I need to pause, listen and remember that God is good and he is active in this world in good ways.

4 Comments:

Blogger cory said...

best post ever, man.

Thu Mar 02, 09:12:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

amen.

Fri Mar 03, 05:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think our being grateful in little things opens our eyes to see how god is moving in even bigger things. your thankfulness is contagious.

Wed Mar 08, 12:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first read your post, one of the things that stood out most to me - and maybe because I'm such a girly girl - was this line:

"Of course, community is messy but is there anything of value that is not hard to get?"

Totally unrelated though it may be, I think you aptly touched on why so many women value the pursuit. Because it's that idea - that anything of value is hard to get (and let's use the word "get" here loosely) - that so many people (perhaps subconsciously) hold true. To be "gotten" (again, not the right word in terms of peopleness) should require effort, time, hard work, etc. Women notice that. And appreciate it. And feel valued when it happens.

That's all. Good blog.

Wed Mar 08, 12:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home