Wednesday, June 28, 2006

choose your own adventure

My dad’s birthday was in March and so knowing, or at least believing that my dad is not a big material gift person, my brother and I gave him a "choose your own adventure" gift. His options were a three day canoeing, backpacking, or biking trip. This was a great gift to give since all three sounded like something I would like to do, but we were pretty sure it would also be received well.

My dad picked biking and that made me a little nervous. You see, growing up I was never really into the sports my dad was. He was a runner and biker and my mental connotation for both those activities was pain and who likes that? Well for starters, my dad and brother, but not so much me. But somewhere in the past few years I have changed and have grown to love both biking and running, at least most of the time (see last post).

We had originally planned to bike from Madison (home to me and Joel) to Eau Claire where my parents live but as the time drew near we became more realistic and shortened the route to go from Lyndon Station to Eau Claire over 3 days, 2 nights. It was a fantastic trip.

Here I am as we are about to get started.


We put about 180 miles on our bikes over those three days as we traveled through a beautiful part of the state. I came to appreciate what great county roads our state has and learned, or at least was told, that our roads are of such high quality to better aid farmers transport their products. Go dairy state. Our trip was a good combination of flats and butting kicking hills. We passed miles upon miles of farm country that was only broken up my occasional small towns with their four churches and five bars and one small coffee shop.

Here are a couple shots of the countryside. The second one is after a bigger than average hill ... I learned to love my granny gear.


This is the four room hotel we stayed at on our first night. You gotta love small towns where you have to stop by the owners home to pick up the key.


This was a great way to spend time with my dad and I was reminded how lucky I am. I am lucky to have a father who is willing to take time to spend with his kids and always has since we were little. Thanks dad and happy father’s day (a little late) .

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the lucky one. A dad that has sons that are willing to spend a few days with their pop. I hope that when I'm 70 we can still be having adventures.
Thanks, kid.

Thu Jun 29, 08:16:00 PM  
Blogger cory said...

cool post jon. any chance i could get you to lable the locales of the photos?

cory

Fri Jun 30, 05:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That was a pretty sweet post. Son honoring father. Father answering in comments. Beautiful pictures and a very cool story. Thanks, Jon.

Fri Jul 07, 10:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home