Sunday, November 26, 2006

a short break

I am now a little over 24 hours into my personal retreat here in the middle of nowhere Minnesota. A few months back I finally sat down and put a couple of retreats into my calendar for the purpose of prayer, reading, writing and relaxation. I have been looking forward to this time for a long time. And now I am here.

I was afraid that the lack of contact with other people would be hard. I pictured that I would start talking to myself shortly after Mary dropped me off and would be borderline insane by the time she came back to pick me up. This may still happen but so far I love this opportunity.

Last night I started reading The Rise of Christianity by Rodney Stark while enjoying some tea and then switched gears and wrote in my journal and read part of Acts. The night was capped off with Everything is Illuminated which is an excellent movie with a rare touch of redemption. Thanks to Cory for pointing me to it.

So far today I have read, eaten, napped, run and walked around the farmland I am staying at. This has been food for my soul and I am thankful. I know that everyone tends to project and assume what is good for them is good for everyone so forgive me if this is the case but everyone should take the times like this.

I am thankful for the chance to pause. I have been challenged as of late to learn to live in the moment and be thankful for it. It can be easy for me to get caught up in ideas and ideals. I tend to be consumed by the fact that the Church is not who she should be, especially it seems, in America. I dwell on what needs to change in the ministry I lead, how our church should be different, how I have so much to learn about how to love. Sometimes these convictions are a good thing but not when they drown out my ability to appreciate the good that is all around me. There is so much to be thankful for.

I live in a fallen world and I am surrounded by the results of sin and at the same time by glimpses of the Kingdom. Visions of what one day will be but can already be enjoyed at least in a small ways. I am off to go see if I can look at the stars and then maybe indulge in the not so guilty pleasure of 24 – season 3.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home