Sunday, March 28, 2010

Longing for clarity: Switch part 3



I long to be part of something significant. I want to be led. I want to be given the direction I need to go. I want clarity. I don’t believe that I am alone. While I long for this sort of clear calling, I struggle to know what it could look like or if is even biblical. Jesus seemed to be anything but clear or specific in his teachings. Okay maybe that is too strong. But as a follower of Jesus, what is a clear and compelling calling for my life? To be like Christ does not seem to qualify. To become a fully devoted follower of Jesus is compelling but not clear. There are a million ways I can go about that. What is a clear calling my church community can be a part of that does not oversimplify the kingdom of God? I want help picturing a preferred future. What would it look like to be part of a group of growing disciples? How would our city change? What tangle difference could be made?

There are some Christian communities that sell out to specific issues. Is that what I long for? I know that a lack of clarity is frustrating because you never really know if you are successful by any measure. Even if you measure success by whether or not the fruit of the Spirit is evident you still need to have sense that you full of peace, patience, self-control, etc. How do you know? Most people, maybe all, tend to over estimate their good qualities and justify away their bad ones. It is ill-advised to say ‘be like Jesus’, point in a general direction and then depend on self awareness to result in a mature disciple; more clarity is needed. It just that I am unclear on what the clarity could be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home